By MichelleMay 4, 2017
Website technology changes very rapidly, meaning websites are no longer ‘set and forget’. So just like your desktop software, WordPress (the software that runs your website) must be kept up to date to keep your site working optimally and to make it more secure.
Just a few years ago, there was a lot less need for ongoing support of WordPress websites. But today, WordPress is getting more complex, is updated a lot more, and there are greater security risks that need to be reduced.
Your website is a crucial part of your business and therefore requires extra care to make sure it continues to perform its functions. In response to this problem, Web Matters now provides Care Plans for WordPress sites.
So what are the specific issues?
Here’s a quick overview of the top issues facing websites and WordPress.
- Bugs happen – just like any software, sometimes things just break unexpectedly and need to be fixed.
- Old Content – Websites that are never updated make a poor impression on website visitors – which can negatively impact on the effectiveness of your website. It can also affect your ranking in Google, as Google prefers websites that are frequently updated.
- Out of date Software: WordPress is software that needs to be updated as new versions are released. Out of date versions of WordPress and WordPress plugins can develop vulnerabilities that can be exploited in different ways. The website may become unstable, unreachable or infected with malware or spam advertising.
- Security: Even when everything is up to date, intrusion attempts may still be made on your website.
What’s the Solution?
- Bug Fixes – Any little bugs that creep into the site will be fixed. For example, if a plugin stops working properly we’ll replace it with a different one.
- Content Updates – if you go onto the Pro or Premium Care Plans, we’ll email you at the beginning of each month and find out what new content we can add to the website. To make life easier, we can even check on your Facebook page and take content from there directly.
- Software Updates – we’ll keep WordPress and its plugins and themes up-to-date.
- Security: We’ll put additional safeguards in place to help protect the website.
To learn more about the Web Matter’s care plans and what each plan covers, view our Care Plan page.